In a prior blog post, we answered the question, “What Is a filter press and how does it work?” In this post, we describe what the key components are in a filter press.
What Are the Key Parts of a Filter Press Used in Liquid/Solid Separation?
Home > What Are the Key Parts of a Filter Press Used in Liquid/Solid Separation?
To recap, a filter press is a piece of equipment – a machine – that is used for liquid/solid separation. The liquid to be filtered is the suspension or slurry. When the slurry is pumped under pressure through a filter press, the liquid passed by the filter is called the filtrate. The solids retained within the chambers are known as the “filter cakes.” Clients frequently rely upon Micronics’ expertise to assist with achieving drier filter cake solids, a key tool for reducing expenses for transporting filter cake. You can view a recent blog post on this topic here.
The key components of a filter press used for liquid/solid separation are:
- The Press Frame (also known as the Skeleton). There are various frame types that we manufacture and these include “side bar” filters and “overhead beam” filter presses including both single-beam and twin-overhead beam.
- The Filter Plates, Pack or Plate Stack – consisting of Head Plate, Intermediate Plates, and End Plate.
- Components for Closing, Clamping & Opening the Plates – consisting of hydraulic cylinders & power packs. Hydraulic cylinders can be powered manually, air-assisted, or can be electrically-driven. The slurry type may dictate the type of power pack needed and Micronics will assist you in determining the optimal power pack for your application.
- The Filtrate Manifold (Piping & Valves) – for slurry delivery “In” and filtrate discharge “out.” During a filter press’s operation, the slurry is pumped under pressure through the manifold at what is referred to as the “feed head” or “fixed end” of the press. The other end of the filter press is referred to as the “cross head” or “floating head.”
- The Filter Cloth – great, high-quality cloth is critical to excellent filter press performance.
When it comes to selecting the ideal filter press for your application, Micronics will walk you through all the aspects from frame design to plate and cloth selection, manifold specifications, and hydraulics. We will work with you to achieve the right design for your unique application.
Yes, we do have a robust Stock Press Program which is great for speedy delivery if the press specs meet your requirements. But we also specialize in custom filter press designs with all the options from automatic cloth washing to bomb bay drip trays to cake blow to stainless steel piping; it is all about what is required for your process.
At Micronics, it makes sense that “engineered filtration” is in our name. Micronics is an expert in all things related to liquid/solid separation and pressure filtration. You can count on Micronics as a top filter press manufacturer and a top filter cloth manufacturer. In fact, our customers tell us they truly value our combined filter media and filtration equipment expertise.
Contact us so Micronics can help you with your next filter press project.
- Micronics Supports Sugar Beet Processing with Leading Pressure Filtration Products & Services
- 10, 8, 6, 4 & 2 Cubic-Foot Filter Presses in Stock and Ready-to-Ship from Micronics’ Advanced Technology Center in Chattanooga, TN, USA
- Drainage Belting: Our Quantifiable Difference…as Shown through Mark-10 Testing
- Which Type of Vacuum Filter is Best for my Application?
- Diagnosing Six Types of Bag and Cage Damage in Your Pulse-Jet Dust Collector
- Micronics Welcomes Jeremy Borgman as Its New Director of Business Development – Field Services
- Maintenance Tip of the Month: How to Diagnose and Solve Alignment Issues With Your Belt Filter Press
Contact Our Experts
Micronics Is Your Trusted Partner for Total Engineered Filtration Solutions. We offer end-to-end solutions from Filter Media to Industry-Leading Filtration Equipment, to Spare Parts & Accessories, to On-Site Field Services and In-House Laboratory Services. Whether for your Filter Press, Belt Press, Leaf Filter, Vacuum Filter, or Baghouse, you can count on Micronics’ deep industry and applications knowledge for the right engineered filtration solution to meet your needs. We look forward to working with your team.