Dan Murphy, Micronics’ Field Service and Spare Parts Manager, is very pleased to share this Maintenance Tip of the Month for your liquid-solid separation equipment:
November Maintenance Tip of the Month: Keep Filter Plate Sealing Surfaces Clean
Home > November Maintenance Tip of the Month: Keep Filter Plate Sealing Surfaces Clean
Maintenance Tip of the Month – November
Minimize costly potential press problems by regularly inspecting your filter plates and asking the important question, “Are My Plate Sealing Surfaces Clean and Free of Debris?”
Whatever your filter plate type – CGR, Recessed (NG), and Membrane Plates – the sealing surfaces are similar. And, solids trapped on or between the plates’ sealing surfaces will inevitably cause problems.
While many clients do adequately clean the cake from the chambers, they may overlook the sealing surfaces. Buildup on sealing surfaces will cause premature cloth and plate wear.
Did you know? Excessive buildup on the sealing surfaces can force a press frame out of its square position. This is not only dangerous to the equipment but it is a safety issue for operating personnel.
How can I tell if there is a problem with my plates’ sealing surfaces?
Press leaking during the feed cycle is normally the first sign of trouble. The trapped solids create a path for the slurry to escape the filter press, normally resulting in a mess. All slurries are abrasive to a certain extent; some slurries are particularly abrasive.
An abrasive slurry escaping the press will lead to a premature failure. The abrasive material passing by the cloth and over the sealing surface will first wear the cloth and then eventually wear a groove in the polypropylene plates’ sealing surface. At this point, the plate will need a costly repair or complete replacement. Best to avoid getting to this point.
What can I do to ensure that my plate sealing surfaces are clean and free of debris?
Schedule regular maintenance for cloth cleaning. Your specific process and slurry will dictate at what intervals the filter cloth cleaning should be done.
At each cloth changeout, do the following:
- clean drainage surfaces (drainage pips)
- clean filtrate ports
- clean filtrate discharges
- Inspect stay bosses
- For CGR plates, inspect CGR O-rings and perimeter gaskets for damage and wear.
Be Prepared. Stock up on Spare Parts Today!
For your CGR plates:
Micronics Air Hammer – for installing CGR cloths – Part #005752
O-Ring Cord Stock:
- 10mm – Part # 011041
- 8mm – Part # 011377
- 11mm – Viton – #ORVITON11
5-foot Red Standard Scraper – Part #006543
- Pounding (Caulking) Wedge – Part #006978
For your Non-Gasketed, Recessed plates:
- Dog Pegs, Red – Part # 026405
- Dog Pegs, Blue – Part # 026407
- Dog Pegs, Black – Part # 026406
- Dog Peg Washer – Part # 014450
- Zip Ties – Part # 006976
When asked, “Are My Plate Sealing Surfaces Clean and Free of Debris?,” we hope you will be able to answer, YES.
Pro Tip: Being proactive and not reactive will ensure less production down time in your press operation! Unscheduled press downtime will typically cost more than regularly scheduled maintenance.
Contact Us for assistance with expert field service or to ensure you are set with your replacement filter press cloth, filter plates, spare parts, and accessory needs.
- Micronics Dry Filtration Solutions For A Cleaner Environment, Contributing to More Sustainable Cities and Communities
- Planning for An Upcoming Outage? Turn to Trusted Baghouse Solutions Partner, Micronics
- Micronics Filter Media Solutions for Dealing with Supply Chain Uncertainty
- Corrosion Prevention in Your Filter Press Operation
- July Maintenance Tip of the Month: Safeguard Workers by Following Lock-Out/Tag-Out Procedures to the Letter in Your Press Operations
- Filter Press Solutions for Coal Ash Pond Remediation
- June Maintenance Tip of the Month: Focus on Automatic Filter Cloth Washing Systems
Contact Our Experts
Micronics Is Your Trusted Partner for Total Engineered Filtration Solutions. We offer end-to-end solutions from Filter Media to Industry-Leading Equipment to Spare Parts & Accessories to On-Site and Remote Services. Whether for Your Filter Press operation or your Baghouse, you can count on Micronics’ deep industry and applications knowledge for the right engineered filtration solution to meet your needs. We look forward to working with your team.